Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, social distancing opens in a new window has become a way of life. Many of the activities that were previously enjoyed during the summer months have been canceled or extensively modified, causing individuals and families everywhere to look for new forms of entertainment.
One of the best hobbies you can adopt while still adhering to social distancing guidelines is boating. Not only are you able to enjoy the great outdoors and spend quality time with loved ones while boating during COVID-19, you can also keep your distance from anyone who could be carrying the coronavirus opens in a new window. Even though boating is an excellent pastime, it is also important to note that buying a boat is a big investment that comes with inherent liability risks. For this reason, purchasing the proper boating insurance is crucial.
Why Do You Need Boat Insurance?
Here are the reasons why boat insurance is an essential part of enjoying the open waters:
The most basic boating insurance policies are designed to protect you from liability in the event of an accident. If your boating activities result in injury to someone or their property, your boating insurance policy will cover the related expenses.
Protection for your boat
It is no secret that boats are expensive. The right boat insurance policy will cover any damage to your boat, allowing you to make repairs or replace the boat easily in the case of a total loss.
To cover medical payments
If you add medical payments coverage to your boating insurance policy, you will have coverage for limited medical expenses for anyone who is injured on your boat. This type of coverage is available on a no-fault basis.
To protect against uninsured boats
In many cases, boats are damaged by other boats. Unfortunately, if the owner of the other boat isn’t insured, you may find yourself with expenses you can’t afford to pay. Uninsured boaters coverage will apply in the event that your boat is damaged by another boat that is not properly insured.
Purchasing Boating Insurance
When purchasing insurance for your boat, there are several factors you should consider to ensure you are getting the best policy for the best price:
- Types of coverage – Not all boat insurance policies will include the same coverage. Talk to an agent to find out what type of coverage is the most appropriate for your needs.
- Coverage limits – After choosing the different types of coverage you want on your boating insurance policy, you will also select coverage limits. A qualified agent will be able to help you select limits that provide adequate protection.
- Premiums – The premiums charged for boating insurance will vary according to the provider you choose and the specifics of your coverage.
Working with an independent insurance agent is the best way to make sure you have the best boat insurance for your needs.
- Social distancing while boating is much easier than social distancing on land, making boating an ideal activity to enjoy the summer during the pandemic.
- If you own a boat, you need to purchase boating insurance to protect your investment and protect yourself from liability.
- Working with an independent agent is the best way to get the right types of coverage and appropriate limits for a fair price.
Even if you do everything in your power to keep your boating trip safe, you still need to protect yourself from liability, with boating insurance. Fortunately, at Marine Agency, we offer comprehensive boating insurance options to help you protect yourself and your investment. Contact us today to learn more!